Blackjack is a dynamic card game with simple rules and proven strategies. It has been popular since its introduction in offline casinos, and is in demand in online rooms along with poker and baccarat. The game of blackjack is also called “twenty-one” because of the number of points needed to win. To win, users use knowledge of the rules, strategy and tricks like card counting.
There are many variants of this game, the main (classic) are two:
- European. Six decks of 52 cards each are played. They are thoroughly mixed. At the beginning of a set of cards by the players and only after its completion, the dealer gets the cards to himself. This is a peculiarity of the game, because in other versions of the dealer takes two cards at once. Also, this variation has a fairly high payout ratio: for normal winning – 1:1, for the combination of Blackjack – 3:2, with the activation of insurance – 2:1.
- American. The game can be played in multiple hands with 6 decks of 52 cards each. The goal is standard, and overcards always mean a loss. Here, the dealer lays out two cards at once, and reveals only one. If there is a chance that the player has collected a winning combination, the dealer checks the second card and gives the prize. The dealer deals to himself until he reaches 17 points, then he stops.
Other varieties of blackjack popular at online casinos include Spanish 21, Pontoon, Sweets, Perfect Pairs, and Exchange 21. These games have special rules and conditions, and you should familiarize yourself with them before you start. Beginners are advised to start with the classics, and each new game should be tested in demo mode before betting for money.
How to play
The standard course of action in blackjack:
- Players place their bets before the start;
- Each player gets two cards, the croupier gets one or two cards, of which two or one is open – it all depends on the type of blackjack;
- Participants are invited to take another card, the move is called a hit and is made in anticipation of improving their hand – to get closer to 21 (without going over). To refuse to pick up a card – to play stay or pass;
- The croupier takes a card if necessary (if the hand is less than soft 17 or 16 hard points);
- The winner is determined, the automatic accrual of winnings to the player or the withdrawal of his casino bet.
A breakdown of the basic situations in blackjack
Blackjack is the position of the player who scores 21 points with the first two cards. It’s a guarantee of winning the hand, which usually gives a 3:2 odds instead of the standard 1:1 odds, as long as the dealer doesn’t win either.
Split pairs are a common situation in the first round when a player has two identical cards in his hand. He can split them into two different hands and continue to play each one separately – then the bet is duplicated. It is allowed to make several splits in a row (up to three or four). An exception to this is when two aces are dealt, with only a third card remaining, declaring the value of one ace to be one point instead of eleven.
Double – doubling the bet, occurs on the first two cards of the player (the first deal). After that you can get only one card. It is advised to do a double only if you are sure that the next card will not bring an overcards or the dealer will lose with his third card.
Sarrenda is the decision not to continue playing the hand. You can do this before the second card is dealt. If the casino provides such an option, the dealer takes away half of the player’s initial bet.
Insurance – the dealer’s offer to insure himself against the casino’s winnings. Acts when the dealer gets an open Ace. In this case, you can pay half of your bet – and the insurance will be paid 2:1 if the dealer actually collects blackjack. This is an ambiguous option, experienced players advise against it, because it is usually a move by the casino to lure money.
Knowing the rules will not guarantee a win; every blackjack move you make should be deliberate. Planning usually doesn’t take much time (less than a minute), so optimum tactics need to be found ahead of time. The basic one is card counting: the player waits for a good moment to bet when there are many cards in the deck worth 10 points. It is desirable to do it in a live format, when the dealer does not mix the cards, and there are almost no empty seats at the table.
The Martingale strategy is popular in gambling. It consists of increasing the size of the bet at a loss and return to its original size after reaching the “white” strip. In blackjack, this tactic is called the “progressive bet”, one of its varieties – “1-3-2-6”, where the numbers – the multipliers initial bet when winning the previous one.
It will be useful for live casino customers to learn about the correct position at the table. The last box gives a small head start in time for card counting. It also allows you to see other players’ cards and make informed decisions.
Blackjack is a game with simple basic rules and many nuances regarding strategies and their applications. The game involves card decks, each card has its own value, and the goal of each participant is to collect 21 points. To play successfully, you should first study the theory and try out the chosen variant of blackjack in demo mode.